Dear SHC Family,
Diocesan letters to the parish are now being indexed.
Older Homilies can be accessed at the sidebar for Daily Homilies.
Meditate on the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The compassion of Jesus is very evident in Matthew’s Gospel. He sees crowds in great numbers because they are “troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.” His heart is moved with pity. The Prophet Jeremiah tells us “I, the LORD, explore the mind and test the heart, giving to all according to their ways, according to the fruit of their deeds” (17:10).
What the Lord does for us, should give us pause to do the same in return. Let us look into his Sacred Heart that we may better know our God, and that we may better understand our own call to holiness. One way of looking deeper into the Heart of Jesus is to reflect on the Litany to the Sacred Heart of Jesus approved by Pope Leo at the close of the 19th century.[i]
As a prism takes white light and separates it into a rainbow of colors, the Sacred Heart of Jesus may be split into 33 different images, one for each year of his life.
- The Sacred Heart is one with the Trinity, Son of the Eternal Father, formed by the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary, the Word of God.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is the dwelling place of God, the Sacred Temple of God of the Old Testament, the Tabernacle of the Most High opening its doors for adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, the House of God and Gate of Heaven opening our future to Eternity.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is Love … a burning furnace of charity, the abode of justice, full of goodness.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is Infinite in Majesty, infinite in virtue, the treasured source of all wisdom and knowledge.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus bleeds for humanity, pierced with a lance, bruised for our offenses, obedient to death.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus draws us to him, worthy of all praise, delight of all saints, king and center of all hearts.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is the source of all consolation, patient and most merciful, our peace and our reconciliation
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is inexhaustible fountain of life and holiness, enriching all who invoke Thee, the desire of the everlasting hills.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is the propitiation (atonement) for our sins, loaded down with (our condemnation and disgrace) opprobrium, victim for our sins.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus is our life and resurrection, the hope of all who die, the salvation of all who trust in Thee.
- The Sacred Heart of Jesus, in whom the Father was well pleased, in whom dwells the fullness of divinity, of whose fullness we have all received.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus invites us to open our hearts to him. To our broken hearts, he offers mercy. To our fearful hearts, he offers protection. To our weak hearts, he offers strength. To our finite hearts, he offers infinity.
Take time today to meditate on the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Open your heart to his heart that you too may see others and be moved to respond with the same compassion.